During this 2 day course, learners will develop the skills and knowledge needed to deal with a range of emergency first aid situations; including...
- The roles and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider
- Assessing an emergency situation
- Dealing with an unresponsive infant or child
- Recovery position
- CPR and AED
- Head, neck and back injuries
- Anaphylaxis and allergic reactions
- Febrile convulsions
- Diabetic emergencies
- Burns and scalds
- Electric shock
- External bleeding
- Hypovolaemic shock
- Eye, ear and nose conditions
- Bites and stings
- Minor injuries
- Treatment for hot and cold body temperatures
During the course each learner will be continuously assessed by the trainer on practical scenarios, including...
- CPR and safe use of an AED
- Choking casualty
- Unconscious casualty
- Wounds, bleeding and shock
- Secondary survey
- Management of fractures
In addition each learner will be required to complete a multiple choice theory paper based on the course content, which is marked by the trainer at the end of the course.
This course attracts a QA Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (RQF) regulated and nationally recognised qualification, which is valid for 3 years.
Once qualified, learners are recommended to maintain their first aid skills and knowledge by attending a ½ day Paediatric First Aid Annual Refresher Course.
To re-qualify as a paediatric first aider, learners should attend another 2 day Paediatric First Aid Course on or before the 3 year anniversary of their certificate expiry date.
Providing the location and learners meets our pre-requisites then we can deliver this course on-site at your location for small or large groups.
- Adequate lighting, ventilation & heating for the time of year
- Adequate floor space & coverings for practical sessions
- Close to male / female toilets and hand washing facilities
- A proportionate sized room for the number of learners
- Adequate exits in case of an emergency / fire
- Free of intrusive noise for uninterrupted learning
- Adequate seating for the number of learners
- Television or digital projector with HDMI connection for the digital presentation
- Aged 16 years or over
- Suitable for the task of learning
- Able to provide photographic identification
- Good physical health for the practical sessions